- Here at 12th Street we are blessed to have godly, loving children’s teachers for classes of all ages, from the nursery on up. Classes are available both Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings.
- Every summer the congregation organizes a Vacation Bible School (VBS) for the community as well.
- We take part in Leadership Training for Christ (LTC), an annual event for encouraging our youth to participate and use their skills in leading and serving God’s people.
The 12th Street Church of Christ youth group is a wonderful, loving group of young men and women from 6th to 12th grade. Some of our activities include:
- Classes on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings
- Sunday night devotionals and supper
- Youth-led worship once per month on Sunday evening
- Texas Boy’s Ranch projects
- Leadership Training for Christ (LTC)
- Carpenter’s Kitchen: Food kitchen for the homeless in Lubbock
- Camp Blue Haven, New Mexico
- Summer mission trips
- LCU Encounter & Encounter LE
On Tuesday evenings during the school year we provide a meal for anyone in the community who needs a meal. Each Tuesday, we’ll have approximately 60-80 people who come to share a meal with us. Our members sign up for opportunities to cook, serve, and clean up for the meal. We also have a group of folks who sign up to mix and mingle with our guests.
Approximately every other Sunday, one of the congregation’s four Barnabas groups takes a turn hosting a potluck meal after the Sunday morning worship time. Barnabas Groups meet each Sunday morning following our worship assembly for the purpose of sharing a meal and some encouragement with our guests, getting to know them better. Barnabas Groups have also been great for the 12th Street family to learn more about each other! Each member and family at 12th Street is encouraged to be a part of a Barnabas Group. New members are welcome to attend every group, and then sign up for one to regularly attend. The name “Barnabas” comes from the brother spoken of predominantly in the book of Acts, whose name literally means, “Son of Encouragement” (Acts 4:36).
- Wednesday nights: We have a group of men who meet for study and fellowship each Wednesday night as one of our class offerings.
- Monday nights: We also have a group of men who meet on Monday nights at 7 p.m. in our fellowship hall. This group is filled with men from all walks of life and all age groups.
- Men’s Breakfast: Once a month, all men are invited to get together on a Saturday morning and share a breakfast fit for a king! Our men volunteer to cook for this breakfast which happens on the third Saturday morning of every month at 7:30 a.m.
- Ladies’ Class: A special ladies’ Bible class meets on Wednesday nights during the school year, during our normal class times. Various women in the congregation can be involved in teaching, sharing, and praying together. Many supportive relationships have formed as a result of this class.
- Annual Ladies’ Day: Each year in the spring, the women of the 12th Street family host a Ladies’ Day for women of the area. This is a Saturday event that benefits attendees in their walk with Christ. It is a great time of learning and fellowship with women from around the area.
- Card Ladies: On Monday mornings at 10 a.m., we have several ladies who volunteer to come to the fellowship hall and do mail correspondence with those who have visited one of our assemblies, those who are new to the community, those who are sick or grieving, or to anyone in need of an encouraging thought to brighten their day!
We have a great group of “young at heart” members at 12th Street. Each month on the second Saturday, they get together for a time of fellowship and eating out at an area restaurant. They also have other activities planned throughout the year for fellowship and growth.
Each fifth Sunday, all Barnabas groups and everyone in the building is invited to stay for a potluck lunch. It’s a good time where the whole 12th Street family gets to share a meal together. Our elders have encouraged us all to spend that afternoon with our families doing something fun. We do not have a service at the building on that Sunday night so as to give our families some much needed family time.
You’ll notice that our worship in song is a pretty important thing with the 12th Street family. We love singing together! On each fifth Wednesday evening, all of our classes are dismissed and we all meet together in the auditorium for a special night of worship and praise in song. We use this time to allow anyone to request their favorite song for us all to sing together.
Once a year we host an unusual event – an enormous garage sale at our building, except everything is given away completely free of charge! We do this as a service to our community, to help any and all who can benefit, and to show the love and generosity of our Lord to others around us.